Most conference attendees will want to have their own car, at least from Friday through Sunday. Transportation for local field trips and meals away from the hotel is up to each individual – car pooling is encouraged.
Friday afternoon is available for field trips (simultaneous with in-depth sessions).
Saturday morning is also free for field trips (simultaneous with panel discussion and IVRPA members meeting).
For attendees who do not need to leave, Sunday morning is another possibility for local trips. Late check-out or temporary luggage storage will be available.
Conference staff will be assigned to answer questions and organize groups to visit some of these destinations.
Near Babad Doag Viewpoint
- The top destinations for half-day field trips from Tucson are:
- the Pima Air and Space Museum, including a bus tour of the “boneyard” (pimaair.org)
- Saguaro National Park Rincon Mountain Unit, cactus forest loop drive and hiking (nps.gov/sagu)
- Sabino Canyon, tram ride and hiking at the base of the Catalina Mountains (sabinocanyon.org/sabino)
- Mount Lemmon Highway, scenic drive ascends the Santa Catalina Mountains (www.go-arizona.com/Mt-Lemmon-Scenic-Byway)
- Saguaro National Park Tucson Mountain Unit, including the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (www.desertmuseum.org) and Old Tucson Studios theme park and film set (www.oldtucson.com)
- Center for Creative Photography, including special collections of the works of Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, at the University of Arizona Libraries (www.creativephotography.org/)
- the historic central district of Tucson, with galleries and restaurants, walking tours (www.visittucson.org/visitor/about/downtown/)